ESD Research Summaries 2006-2007
PLEASE Read These Directions!
Note: layout will be just like the previous (2004-2005) report (view that COVER here).
SUBMITTAL DUE DATE: July 30, 2007
- Note: This deadline is firm.
- Absolutely no papers will be accepted after that day.
- 550 word count and one (1) figure.
Short title is preferred and is more eye-catching. Title length limit is 10 words or less.
List primary author or PI first. No more than five authors per paper, please.
REQUIRED SECTION HEADINGS
(Note: The format is exactly like ESD Research Summaries 2004-2005. View a PAGE here-pdf.)
- Research Objectives
- Significance of Findings
- Related Publication(s) Here, cite only one or two of the most recent publications by the authors. Do not cite related works by other researchers. The annual report will have an extensive publications list.
- Acknowledgments Include your funding source here. If you have any questions about your funding source statement, CHECK THIS LINK FIRST. If you still have questions, refer to the last issue of the ESD Research Summaries, consult with your Department/Program Head, or contact Dan Hawkes.
SUGGESTIONS TO AUTHORS
- Each contribution will be limited to 1 page and 1 figure/photo. Word count should be approximately 550 words maximum.
- We ask that you avoid using equations completely.
- In writing your one-page contribution, keep in mind that the main audience is not your scientific peer group. Rather, it is composed of technical people with diverse backgrounds. Imagine that you are trying to explain your research to a DOE or industry program manager whom you are meeting for the first time.
- If you have a web site for your project, list the URL, and we will add it to the contribution.
- You are allowed 1 figure maximum. This will be a color document, so don't hesitate to use color. Large tables count as one figure. Provide a caption your figure and/or table (you can include this caption in your text file.)
- The e-mail address will be listed for the first author.
- Spell out the word "Figure" instead of using "Fig."
- Word count should be approximately 500-550 words. Please prepare the text portion of your contribution either as an MS Word 2001 (or earlier) document or in ASCII text. Note: Do not attempt to format the paper yourself.
- PLEASE do not embed charts and figures in the text. Rather, submit those as separate files (EPS, TIFF, PICT, or PS). Please avoid using Powerpoint to create your figures.
Charts & Tables
- Excel files are acceptable for charts and tables. Do not embed your Excel file into your text document.
- For color images, we need at least 300 dpi resolution in EPS, TIFF, PICT format. Postscript (PS) files are also acceptable, but PLEASE save with a TIFF PREVIEW. Color should be CMYK, if possible, for four-color printing. Please avoid using Powerpoint to create our figures. Do not send low-resolution (72 dpi) GIF or JPEG files!
- Remember: Images should be separate files. Do not embed them into your text document.
Please do not include any equations.
"Related Publications" Format
Please follow this example:
Birkholzer, J. T., and Y. W. Tsang, Forecast of thermal-hydrological conditions and air injection test results of the Single Heater Test at Yucca Mountain, LBNL-39789, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, Calif., 1996.
Hard Copies (Important)
Due to potential softare version and platform incompatibilities, it is helpful for us if you submit a black & white hard copy along with your electronic copy. Hard copies may be dropped into Krys Avina's mailbox in the mailroom 90-1116.
Submission of Electronic Files
Submit your contribution to Krys Avina as an email attachment.
Tuesday, May 31, 2005
Note that each paper will be subject to technical review and final approval by Bo.
Note that papers included in the ESD Research Summaries publication are, and will be, available on the ESD website.