Earth Sciences Division Staff: Harry R. Beller
Harry R. Beller
Director, Biofuels Pathways,
Joint BioEnergy Institute (JBEI)
Harry Beller is an environmental microbiologist who serves as a Senior Scientist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL), a Director of Biofuels Pathways in DOE’s Joint BioEnergy Institute (JBEI), and an Adjunct Professor in the Department of Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry at the University of Toronto. Before coming to LBNL in 2007, he was a Senior Environmental Scientist at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. His research has covered a range of disciplines and topics, including the physiology and biochemistry of anaerobic bacteria (e.g., those catalyzing anaerobic hydrocarbon degradation and the redox cycling of uranium), gene discovery (e.g., of genes critical to bacterial alkene biosynthesis) and genome-enabled microbiological studies, and development of mass spectrometric and biomolecular techniques to document in situ metabolism. He earned a Ph.D. and was a postdoctoral scholar in the Civil & Environmental Engineering Department at Stanford University, and also has an M.S. in Chemical Oceanography (Oregon State University) and a B.A. in Environmental Science (Wesleyan University, CT).
- Postdoctoral scholar. Civil Engineering (Environmental). Stanford University, Stanford, CA.
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering (Environmental). Stanford University, Stanford, CA. 1995.
- M.S. Chemical Oceanography. Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR. 1985.
- B.A. Environmental Science. Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT. 1981.
- 12/11 - present: Senior Scientist, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- 10/07 - present: Director, Biofuels Final Pathways, DOE Joint BioEnergy Institute (JBEI)
- 4/09 - present: Adjunct Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry, University of Toronto
- 9/07 - 12/11: Staff Scientist, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- 4/03 – 4/09: Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry, University of Toronto
- 12/08; 7/04: Guest lecturer, Environmental Microbiology, Stanford University
- 11/98 – 8/07: Senior Environmental Scientist, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- 6/95 – 11/98: Postdoctoral Scholar, Dept. of Civil Engineering, Stanford University
- 7/89 – 6/95: Research Assistant, Dept. of Civil Engineering, Stanford University
- Summer 1993: Teaching Assistant, Dept. of Civil Engineering, Stanford University
- 8/87 – 6/89: Senior Environmental Chemist, PTI Environmental Services (Bellevue, WA)
- 6/85 – 8/87: Environmental Chemist, Tetra Tech, Inc. (Bellevue, WA)
- 8/82 – 6/85: Research Assistant, College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences, Oregon State University
Awards and Honors
- Editorial Board of Applied and Environmental Microbiology (2007-present).
- Included in Who’s Who in America (Marquis) 59th and 60th Editions (2005, 2006).
- Executive Committee, UC Toxic Substances Research & Teaching Program, 2006 - 2007.
- Nominated for Edward Teller Fellowship at LLNL by an Associate Director (2007).
- Member of Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society
- Recognition award, LLNL Environmental Protection Department, December 2003
- Editors’ Citation for Excellence in Refereeing, Water Resources Research (AGU). 1997.
- American Chemical Society award for Graduate Students in Environmental Chemistry. 1994.
- Switzer Foundation Environmental Fellow. 1991/2.
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Chemical Society
- American Geophysical Union