You are using IE6.
Older browsers present a security risk to yourself and us, and restrict site functionality.
We recommend that you upgrade your browser. The following is a list of popular options:
Margaret Torn's Professional Activities
- Service to Berkeley Lab and UC Berkeley: Chair of the Earth Sciences Division diversity committee, 2003-2006; member of ESD Division Council (2001–present) and UCB ERG Executive Committee (2003–2005 as affiliate; 2006–present as core member).
- Science Steering Group, National Soil Carbon Network, 2008-present
- Science Steering Group, North American Carbon Program (NACP), 2005-2010
- Organizer, DOE Workshop: Strategies to Promote Integrated Experiment-Model Approaches to Terrestrial Ecosystem Study, Washington DC, March 19-21, 2012.
- Rapporteur: Moving wire analysis workshop, Lawrence Livermore National Lab, 9-10 Feb 2012
- Invited participant, NASA Carbon Monitoring System workshop. 13-14 July 2010 Boulder CO
- Rapporteur and invited participant, The Lake Constance think tank on global change and feedback from organic carbon dynamics: Defining research visions on how to quantify the molecular-level mechanisms driving soil organic matter turnover, Ittingen, Switzerland, October 2009
- Invited participant, DOE-NSF Workshop on Coordinated Approaches to Address Long-Term Issues in Global Change Experiments, August 2009
- Rapporteur, meeting on Arctic Tundra Deep Warming: a Possible DOE Next-Generation Climate Change Ecosystem Experiment, July 2009
- Invited participant, JGI Soil metagenomics initiative meeting, July 2009
- Invited participant, DOE next generation ecosystem experiment, February 2009
- Planning meeting, the Carbon Summit, National Academies, January 28-29, 2009.
- Invited participant, ARM Climate Research Facility Workshop Report, October 2008
- Member, ARM Science Team, surface flux working group
- Convened workshop for Energy Biosciences Institute (EBI) on research needs for biologically enhanced carbon sequestration in terrestrial and geologic reservoirs. Co-convener: Curt Oldenburg. Berkeley, October 29, 2007. Co-author of whitepaper to EBI.
- Workshop participant, Exploring science needs for the next generation of climatic change and elevated CO2 experiments in terrestrial ecosystems, Crystal City, VA, April 14-18, 2008.
- Rapporteur, Gradients and Transects session, NACP PI meeting, January 25, 2007.
- Co-Chair, Continental Synthesis Task Force, Science Steering Group, (NACP), 2005
- Testified for California Air Resources Board to US EPA hearing on AB32 waiver, May 30, 2007
- Organizing committee and session chair, China-US Climate Change Conference, Berkeley, CA, May 2006.
- Contributing writer and reviewer, California Climate Change: Science Report to Governor on Impacts and Adaptation Options. Convened by California Energy Commission, EPA, and ARB.
- Program Reviewer, Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center (CDIAC), 2005
- Co-convener and Co-chair, AGU sessions (oral and poster): Carbon, Water, and Energy Exchange in Grassland and Cropland Ecosystems, Fall Meeting 2004. Modeling and observation of ecosystem, carbon cycle and energy system feedbacks in the Earth's climate, Fall Meeting 2006. Soils: Mechanisms of Carbon Stabilization and Response to Climate Change II, Fall Meeting 2007
- National Technical Advisory Committee, DOE National Institute for Global Environmental Change, 2003-2005
- Science advisor, Union of Concerned Scientists assessment of climate change and wildfire impacts in California, 2005
- Invited participant and rapporteur, NSF NEON Biogeochemistry Workshop, Boulder, July 2004
- Invited participant, Interagency workshop on Ecosystem Chapter of the US Climate Change Science Plan, Spring, 2004.
- Session leader, NSF-sponsored workshop on soil respiration: Carbon Respiration from Terrestrial Ecosystems (CaRTE). 2004
- Writing Team, Rapporteur, North American Carbon Program workshop & implementation plan, 2003
- Co-Author, Review Chapter of California Energy Commission Climate Change Assessment, 2003
- Lead Author, Road map for non-CO2 greenhouse gas inventories in California, California Energy Commission. 2003-2004
- Co-chair and author, DOE Water Cycle Dynamics and Prediction Program plan, 2001
- Co-organizer NSF workshop for research in joint geosciences and biosciences. Madison, WI, 2001.
- Co-author, white paper on Biogeosciences in NSF. White Paper title “Linking Ecological Biology and Geoscience. Report to the National Science Foundation, April 4, 2002.”
- Co-author NSF workshop on the Terrestrial Carbon Cycle, June 2000. White Paper title: “The changing carbon cycle: A terrestrial focus,”
- Co-author DOE Terrestrial Ecosystems Research Facilities white paper, 2000.
- Invited Panelist California Energy Commission Workshop on Climate Change Science, June 1999.
- Co-author Agricultural and grassland ecosystems, appendix to “Working paper on carbon sequestration science and technology,” Office of Science and Office of Fossil Energy, DOE 1999
Guest Instructor workshop on “Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting, Verification and Certification of CO2 Emissions,” LBNL Energy and Environmental Technologies Division, 2000.
- Interviewer, Switzer Environmental Fellowship
- Interviewer, Compton Foundation Fellowship
- Reviewer Atmospheric Environment, Biogeochemistry, Chemosphere, Climatic Change, Ecological Applications, Geoderma, Global Biogeochemical Cycles, Global Change Biology, Journal of Geophysical Research, Limnology and Oceanography, Nature, Oecologia, Soil Science Society of America Journal
- Proposal Reviewer DOE, NSF, WESTGEC, EPA
- Proposal Panel Member DOE-TCP, DOE-NICCR
- Mentor, ERULF, SULI, GREF, Pre-teacher training, and Mickey Leland programs.