Earth Sciences Division Staff: Terry Hazen
Terry C. Hazen
Head, Ecology Department & DOE Distinguished Scientist
Dr. Hazen received his B. S. and M. S. degrees in Interdepartmental Biology from Michigan State University. His Ph.D. is from Wake Forest University in Microbial Ecology. Dr. Hazen was Professor, Chairman of Biology and Director of Graduate Studies at the University of Puerto Rico for 8 years. Currently he is Head of the Ecology Department, Center for Environmental Biotechnology, Microbial Communities Department of the Joint BioEnergy Institute, co-director of the Virtual Institute for Microbial Stress and Survival and the Microbial Enhanced Hydrocarbon Recovery Program of the Energy Biosciences Institute at E. O. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. He is a fellow of the American Academy of Microbiology and has authored more than 210 scientific publications. Dr. Hazen received in 2005 the DOE BER Distinguished Scientist Award (one of only four ever given). His area of specialty is environmental microbiology, especially as it relates to bioremediation, water quality and bioenergy.
Roles and Responsibilities
- DOE Distinguished Scientist
- Head, Center for Environmental Biotechnology
- Head, Ecology Department
- Lead, Microbial Enhanced Hydrocarbon Recovery, Energy Biosciences Institute
- Director, Microbial Communities, Joint BioEnergy Institute
- Co-Director, Virtual Institute Microbial Stress and Survival
- 1975-1978 Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- 1978 - Doctor of Philosophy, Major: Parasitology-Ecology, Minor: Microbiology-Immunology, Special Skills: Electron Microscopy (Transmission and Scanning), Computer Programming
- 1969-1974 Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan,
- 1973 - Bachelor of Science with honor, Major: Interdepartmental Biology
- 1975 - Master of Science, 1974, Major: Interdepartmental Biology, Specialty: Parasitology
Professional Societies and Journals
- American Academy of Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Chemical Society
- Environmental Science and Technology
- Microbial Ecology
- Scientific American
- Sigma Xi (Full member)
- Society for Industrial Microbiology
- Born: February 7, 1951 Pontiac, Michigan
- Married: June 12, 1972 to Gayle Kanne Reinecke (textiles retailing, library resources, marketing)
- 2 children: Tracy Heather (26 years), Brooks Trevor (24 years)
- Hobbies: photography, SCUBA diving (Nitrox certified), flying (licensed private pilot), handicrafts, and sailing
- Head Coach Pee Wee Football (AA: 13-16 years old) 1983.
- Committee member, Five-year plan for the Richmond County School System, Augusta, Georgia
- Head Judge for Microbiology State Science Fair 1986-7, Microbiology Judge for International Science Fair 1986, Head Judge for International Science Fair 1987, Head Judge Science Fair Aiken County Middle Schools.
- Member, Board of Directors, Mayo Community Inc., Augusta, GA. 1989-1990.
- Member and Chairman, Computer Committee Warren Roads Elementary School, Augusta, GA. 1991-3, 1994-5.
- Co-Chairperson, Environment and Energy Committee, Warren Road Elementary School, Augusta, GA. 1992-3.
- Co-President, PTA, Warren Road Elementary School, Augusta, GA. 1993-4.