Earth Sciences Division Staff: Victor Vilarrasa
I am a postdoc in the Earth Sciences Division at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL). I studied Civil Engineering in Barcelona at the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC). I did my master thesis on particle transport in a fracture undergoing shear at the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) in Stockholm, in collaboration with UPC, under the supervision of Dr. Lanru Jing and Dr. Eduardo Alonso. During my Ph.D. studies, I studied thermo-hydro-mechanical coupled processes related to CO2 injection in deep saline aquifers under the supervision of Dr. Jesus Carrera and Dr. Sebastia Olivella. I had the opportunity to do a stay at Stanford University in 2009 working with Dr. Hamdi Tchelepi. I received my PhD in hydrogeology at the Civil Engineering School of the UPC in 2012. I joined the LBNL in 2013 to work with Dr. Jonny Rutqvist.
My current research deals with dimensional analysis and modeling of thermo-hydro-mechanical (THM) coupled processes in geological media. I apply this research to several geoengineering applications, such as CO2 geological storage, geological nuclear waste disposal and enhanced geothermal systems.
- PhD. studies: Technical University of Catalonia (UPC), Spain
- Title: Thermo-Hydro-Mechanical Impacts of Carbon Dioxide (CO2) Injection in Deep Saline Aquifers.
- Part of the “MUSTANG” and “PANACEA” projects from the European Community’s Seventh Framework Programme FP7/2007-2013 and “Compostilla OXYCFB300” project of the “European Energy Programme for Recovery”.
- Stay at Stanford University from October to December 2009
- Thesis defended 20 July 2012
- Civil Engineering degree: Technical University of Catalonia (UPC), Spain
- Master thesis developed at the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Sweden (September2004 – June 2005): Numerical modelling of fluid flow and particle transport in a rough rock fracture during shear.
- Degree completed June 2006
- Other courses- 42nd International Course of Hydrogeology, FCIHS, UPC, Barcelona, Spain (2008)
- Head of Quality and Environment in the Technical Assistance of the construction of the Spanish High Speed Train in its arrival to Barcelona – Stretch Hospitalet - La Torrassa, in the company CYGSA, from August 2005 to August 2006.
- Head of Production in the construction of the connection and extension of the train stations of the Catalan Railways Sant Gervasi and Plaça Molina, Barcelona, in the company COMSA from September 2006 to September 2007.
- European Geosciences Union (EGU)
- Spanish Civil Engineers Society (CICCP)
- Advances in Water Resources
- Bulletin of the Geological and Mining Institute of Spain
- Computers and Geosciences
- Energy and Fuels
- Engineering Geology
- Environmental Earth Sciences
- Environmental Science and Technology
- Hydrogeology Journal
- International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control
- International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences
- Journal of Geophysical Research - Solid Earth
- Transport In Porous Media
- ‘Examples of drainage between diaphragm walls’ class, in the master course ‘Hydrogeology and Civil Engineering’, UPC, Barcelona, Spain, 9 May 2011.
- ‘CO2 injection in a deep saline aquifer including mechanical interactions’ class in the CO2 Sequestration Modelling Course, Barcelona, Spain, 17-19 June 2010.
- ‘Implementation of density and viscosity functions for CO2. Verification’ class in the CO2 Sequestration Modelling Course, Barcelona, Spain, 17-19 June 2010.
- ‘Advective and non-advective fluxes. Multiphase flow and deformation. Two phase flow of water and CO2’ class in the CO2 Sequestration Modelling Course, Barcelona, Spain, 17-19 June 2010.
- ‘Hydromechanical Coupling’ class of the master course ‘Aquifer Mechanics’, UPC,Barcelona, Spain, 18 March 2010.
- ‘Vadose Zone and Multiphase Flow’ class of the master course ‘Aquifer Mechanics’,UPC, Barcelona, Spain, 11 March 2010.