You are using IE6.
Older browsers present a security risk to yourself and us, and restrict site functionality.
We recommend that you upgrade your browser. The following is a list of popular options:
ESD Safety Calendar
Safety Quick Links
Health & Safety Emergency Action Guide
Additional Contact Numbers
Staff and Public Safety
- Medical Assistance: Dial Lab Emergency Number x7911, alert Health Services if open, remove victim if in a dangerous location, apply first aid/CPR to victim if trained to do so.
- Explosion, fire alarm bells, smoke/fire, significant earthquake, etc.: Evacuate Building, follow Building Emergency Team instructions. Call Lab emergency number, pull nearest fire alarm station, notify Building Manager as appropriate.
- Bomb Threat or Suspicious Package: Call Lab emergency number x7911 and report threat or package, do not disturb package, evacuate room/floor.
- Environmental Release: Call Lab emergency number x7911, isolate release if possible, evacuate affected area, contact EH&S duty Officer.
- Odor (Natural Gas) Complaint: If on-site, call Lab emergency number x7911.
- Indoor Air Quality/Ventilation Issues: Call EH&S Info-Link (x5251) and Facilities Work Request Center (x6274).
- Workplace Violence: Call Lab emergency number x7911 and contact LBNL Security Office x5472; for consultation, call Human Resources Employee/Labor Relations (ER/LR) at x6747 or x 6748.
- Injury Accidents: Isolate accident scene, call Lab emergency number, take employee to Health Services (x6266) for evaluation or request ambulance transport to emergency room, contact EH&S Duty Officer, contact employee's supervisor, complete supervisor’s section on Supervisor Accident Analysis Report (SAAR) when issued by health Services; provide employee with Comp claim form within 24 hours of knowledge or work injury (contact LBNL Workers’ Compensation Unit for assistance/guidance at x5213).
- Property (lost, damaged or stolen) > $10,000: Occurrence Reporting and Processing System (ORPS) reportable to DOE (through EH&S Division).
- Involving Government Vehicle: Facilities Department will request Division to complete Estimate of Damage; Division to complete SAAR if auto accident involves employee injuries; if damage estimate > $1,000, DOE recordable (through EH&S division); if damage estimate >$5,000 ORPS reportable to DOE (through EH&S Division).
- ORPS: See ORPS Manual (LBID — 1694, Rev. 3) — it provides guidance on DOE reporting thresholds and categorizations. Events that qualify: 1) affect the health and safety of the public and workers, 2) adversely impact the intended purpose of DOE facilities, 3) have a noticeable adverse effect on the environment, 4) adversely affect the credibility of DOE facilities, 5) adversely affect national security or the security interests of the DOE. Contract EH&S ORPS Coordinator (x6554).
- Chemical: Call Lab emergency number x7911, contain spill from spreading, help victims, evacuate per Fire Dispatcher instructions.
- Biological: Call Lab emergency number x7911, contain spill from spreading, help victims, evacuate per Fire Dispatcher instructions.
- : Call Lab emergency number x7911, contain spill from spreading, help victims, evacuate per Fire Dispatcher instructions
- Pressure Vessel: Call Lab emergency number x7911, isolate pressure vessel, evacuate per guidance from Lab Fire Department
- The after hours/weekends point of contact for EH&S incident response coordination (24-hour coverage): Pager # (510)425-0616.
EH&S Info-Link Phone Line
To reach EH&S technical support during business hours, call x5251 and press: "0" for 7-911, "1" for EH&S Division Office, "2" for Waste Management, "3" for Environmental Protection, "4" for Radiation Protection, and "5" for EH&S duty Officer.
Employees have the right – and the responsibility – to identify and report improper governmental activities and environment, health and safety concerns and to do so without fear of reprisal. Employees are encouraged to discuss concerns with their immediate supervisor, any level of management, or their human resources representative. In cases where employees (including subcontractors) or others are unable or do not wish to raise issues to management, are uncomfortable doing so, or wish to report retaliation, alternative mechanisms for reporting are available. In all cases, employees have the right to a respectful, prompt and effective response to their concerns. Learn more »