Public Information & External Relations
For detailed information regarding public information and external relations, please contact the LBNL Public Affairs Department.
The following policies bear upon interactions with the news media:
- Public Information documents prepared for general audiences should be developed in consultation with the Public Information Department (PID) to maintain accuracy and coherence. A specified clearance procedure is followed for press releases.
- Employee contacts with outside news media should be coordinated through PID (510-486-5771).
- Laboratory staff who are independently approached by reporters should advise PID before the interview.
- Questions regarding the appropriateness or content of an interview, or requests to set up such an interview, should be forwarded to the Head for Public Communications (ext. 7586).
- Employees should accurately reflect the results of their Laboratory work; if they give opinions as independent professionals, they must state clearly that they are speaking for themselves and not on behalf of the Laboratory, the University of California, or the U.S. Department of Energy.
To assist with the interview process and help Lab employees to be most effective in their experiences, the Laboratory provides classes on successful communications with the press. Contact Dan Krotz, Public Affairs Liaison for Earth Sciences (x4019) to get more information about training and other media-related resources.
To view the Laboratory’s policy on public information and external relations in its entirety, please see Section 5.01(A) of the Laboratory Regulations and Procedures Manual (RPM) at http://www.lbl.gov/Workplace/RPM/R5.01.html#RTFToC1.